Impossible Poet - SKY :: Chapter 30 SKY@Korea

the absurd, the impossible, the irrational, illogical, emotional world of SKY

Friday, March 01, 2002

Well, yesterday was my friend Dan's 23rd birthday, and naturally we went out to drink a bit. Dan, also known as "El Wingador BC", didn't get much sleep the night before because he was studying for an exam. Naturally, the combination of alcohol and his fatigue caused him to just pass out when we got to his car. Which was quite annoying because I didn't know where he exactly lived. Actually, he didn't pass out right away, he first told me which way to go. Somehow, I just ended up in a place I have never been, and with Dan asleep, I just parked on a curb in some residential area. I got out of the car and talked to my friend for a bit, hoping that Dan would wake up. After an hour or so, I heard some muffled sounds coming from the car. I saw that it was Dan, yelling out nonsense in his drunken stupor. So I figure, ah, this would be a good time to wake him up. I yelled at him, shook him, punched him, nothing worked. Only response I got from him was, "Yoooooo, hollllddd uppppp". A serveral minutes of this, then I decided to just drive, and hope that I will find a road that I was familar with. No, luck. I yelled at Dan, "Hey, I'm on so and so street, where do I go?" He responds, "just go straight man, straight." So I go straight, then ask him WHERE do I turn?? he insists, STRAIGHT. The road ends, right or left? he slurs, lefttttt..noo right. blah blah blah -

interlude.

Well, well, after another hour or two of driving aimlessly, Dan finally sobers up a bit and exclaims, "Yo! where the *bleep* are we?"
So, in return, I say, "I don't know! It was your *bleeping* direction!" Well we pass by a toll and take the ticket. On the express way for a bit... then we get off an exit, where Dan insisted that I pick up another ticket! Well, no, we had to pay, so I did, as we were leaving the toll, I heard a muffled "pop" and heard the sound of air gushing out....
*bleep*
that's not cool.
I tell Dan, "Yo, I think we have a flat tired" He replies, "what no way"
I pull into a nearby Mobile gas station. And find that the tire is, indeed, flat.
so,
*bleep*
and I take a minute to laugh, because a moment like this is priceless, priceless.
Anyway, Dan goes into the Mobile trying to get help. Thankfully, the guy working at the Mobile was a student studying to become a pastor. Though at first he was hesitant, because it was cold outside. And he was a skinny, African-American from Liberia. It was safe to say, he didn't like the cold very much. Nevertheless he helped out. We jacked the car up a bit, took the spare out, took the hub caps off the tires....all but one.
We did everything, pulled with every ounce of our strength, stepped on it, jumped on it, body slammed it, god knows what else.
So we pretty much gave up and Dan called his parents. The time, 2:30 AM, I was getting hungry and I was oh-so-very-tired. I went into the Mobile and got me two hot dogs - they looked old..but heck, I was hungry and desperate - the kicker is, I charged it! for couple of drinks and hotdog, because I had NO cash on me whatsoever. And I recently lost my ATM card as well, so I couldn't do anything else!
What a night!
Well as we were waiting for his parents to pick our sorry a$$es up, some guy who came to Mobile loosened the last bolt! He comes in smiling triumphantly, saying that he was this and that of some contest. We were grateful, I guess... though we had decided to just tow the car.
Well eventually his parents came and I got dropped off and said my thank you to the liberian pastort-to-be. I was actually talking to him for a bit. He did annoy me a bit, he told me, "Well, if i was in your situation and I needed help, and you guys happend to be close by, you guys wouldn't have helped" something like that, he continues to say, "well since I follow the teaching of God, this and that and what not" At first I just felt bad, because the truth is, I probably wouldn't have helped him. Then again, he did have that tone of superiority as well! Eh, but he was a good guy, I liked his accent.

I felt like I missed so much of the details but, blah, that'll be all ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home