Ladies and gentlemen,
First of all, my family and I would like to thank you all for coming.
We would also like to thank, Young-Hwang Presbyterian church and all its members, Indian Creek foundation and their residential home staff – who had taken care of my brother for a few years at the group home. Also, Ann Kim, who has always been there as a liaison between Indian Creek and my family to help Min Yong. Our thanks goes out to our family members who’s always been there to support us. And lastly to the countless people who has prayed for and supported my brother.
My brother was born on Oct 10, 1982 in Seoul, Korea. There were complications during his birth and he contracted measles. The doctors there misdiagnosed this and as of result, my brother received permanent brain damage. He had the mental age of perhaps, 4-5 year old for the rest of his life. In 1988, we came to the United States, mainly for my brother’s sake, since US government offered much better support for those who were mentally handicapped. Our family lived together for nearly 10 years, till we had to send Min Yong to the group home due to our financial difficulties; along with the difficulties of taking care of him around the clock under constant supervision. My mother and father sometimes toiled night and day to take care of him. However, not once did they complain or blame my brother in any way – such was the depth of my parents love for my brother. Through the help of Ann Kim, and Indian Creek Foundation, my brother moved to their residential home where he spent many years. He grew to like it there, even though he might have been hesitant at first. As time went on, he actually seemed to prefer being at the residential home to our home, when we brought him back for the holidays.
A few months ago, my brother became afflicted with pneumonia that spread to both of his lungs. He was taken to Grand View hospital, and treated for a few months in the ICCU. Then he was moved to another facility in Meadville, by Erie to a new home that could support him better in his condition. However, his pneumonia returned, and he passed away at the new residential home on april 5, approximately 12:30 AM. He was 21.
When I think of my brother, I think of music, in particular Raffi – he is a children’s song artist, we would play his music in the car, play his videos at home. The cassette tape and the video tape became so worn out from being played repeatedly. Unfortunately, the cassette tape did not make it, but the video tape still lives on. Though not by my choice, I think I have all his songs memorized in my head.
Min Yong also loved to take car rides, particularly to trips to McDonalds. I recall the countless times we would just pass by it on our way home, and he would throw tantrums because we had not stopped by. And almost every time we’d turn around and go back and buy him some French fries and chicken mcnuggets. I’d say he was the happiest when he was in the car, listening to Raffi, eating Mc Donalds. He’d nod to the beat of the music and look out the window with total satisfaction in his eyes.
Right before he was transported to new home in Meadville, my family and others came to see him off. Normally, it would have been very difficult to see him off to such a far place, but Min Yong smiled so cheerfully at each one of us – and made the parting easier. I have never seen him smile like that to everyone. I believe that was my brother’s final farewell to us, and that he himself knew that he’d be going to a better place – free of restraints that bound him to the bed, free of not being able to do what he wanted, free of not being able to communicate.
Despite our grief over the loss of my brother, my family and I are still somewhat at ease -
Because we are sure that he is with God now, wearing that same bright smile that we saw him off with, and undoubtedly listening to Raffi with a Happy meal.
And, I would like to close with a small poem that I had written many years ago,
It is simply titled, Brother
Sometimes I think of how it might have been... There is an empty part of me that has been reserved for you.
What cruel fate of nature can this be? "Why!" I often shout... angry, furious at God. For this unfair fate.
But as my anger subsides, I know that you are not cursed, but blessed.
You will never be tainted by this sinful world.
You will never be tempted by Satan.
You will never feel the flames of hell.
This I know, and for this I'm eternally grateful.
But the emptiness is still there. the need, the want for you is still glowing within me.
And it shall remain. And I long for the day, when you too, can call me brother.
First of all, my family and I would like to thank you all for coming.
We would also like to thank, Young-Hwang Presbyterian church and all its members, Indian Creek foundation and their residential home staff – who had taken care of my brother for a few years at the group home. Also, Ann Kim, who has always been there as a liaison between Indian Creek and my family to help Min Yong. Our thanks goes out to our family members who’s always been there to support us. And lastly to the countless people who has prayed for and supported my brother.
My brother was born on Oct 10, 1982 in Seoul, Korea. There were complications during his birth and he contracted measles. The doctors there misdiagnosed this and as of result, my brother received permanent brain damage. He had the mental age of perhaps, 4-5 year old for the rest of his life. In 1988, we came to the United States, mainly for my brother’s sake, since US government offered much better support for those who were mentally handicapped. Our family lived together for nearly 10 years, till we had to send Min Yong to the group home due to our financial difficulties; along with the difficulties of taking care of him around the clock under constant supervision. My mother and father sometimes toiled night and day to take care of him. However, not once did they complain or blame my brother in any way – such was the depth of my parents love for my brother. Through the help of Ann Kim, and Indian Creek Foundation, my brother moved to their residential home where he spent many years. He grew to like it there, even though he might have been hesitant at first. As time went on, he actually seemed to prefer being at the residential home to our home, when we brought him back for the holidays.
A few months ago, my brother became afflicted with pneumonia that spread to both of his lungs. He was taken to Grand View hospital, and treated for a few months in the ICCU. Then he was moved to another facility in Meadville, by Erie to a new home that could support him better in his condition. However, his pneumonia returned, and he passed away at the new residential home on april 5, approximately 12:30 AM. He was 21.
When I think of my brother, I think of music, in particular Raffi – he is a children’s song artist, we would play his music in the car, play his videos at home. The cassette tape and the video tape became so worn out from being played repeatedly. Unfortunately, the cassette tape did not make it, but the video tape still lives on. Though not by my choice, I think I have all his songs memorized in my head.
Min Yong also loved to take car rides, particularly to trips to McDonalds. I recall the countless times we would just pass by it on our way home, and he would throw tantrums because we had not stopped by. And almost every time we’d turn around and go back and buy him some French fries and chicken mcnuggets. I’d say he was the happiest when he was in the car, listening to Raffi, eating Mc Donalds. He’d nod to the beat of the music and look out the window with total satisfaction in his eyes.
Right before he was transported to new home in Meadville, my family and others came to see him off. Normally, it would have been very difficult to see him off to such a far place, but Min Yong smiled so cheerfully at each one of us – and made the parting easier. I have never seen him smile like that to everyone. I believe that was my brother’s final farewell to us, and that he himself knew that he’d be going to a better place – free of restraints that bound him to the bed, free of not being able to do what he wanted, free of not being able to communicate.
Despite our grief over the loss of my brother, my family and I are still somewhat at ease -
Because we are sure that he is with God now, wearing that same bright smile that we saw him off with, and undoubtedly listening to Raffi with a Happy meal.
And, I would like to close with a small poem that I had written many years ago,
It is simply titled, Brother
Sometimes I think of how it might have been... There is an empty part of me that has been reserved for you.
What cruel fate of nature can this be? "Why!" I often shout... angry, furious at God. For this unfair fate.
But as my anger subsides, I know that you are not cursed, but blessed.
You will never be tainted by this sinful world.
You will never be tempted by Satan.
You will never feel the flames of hell.
This I know, and for this I'm eternally grateful.
But the emptiness is still there. the need, the want for you is still glowing within me.
And it shall remain. And I long for the day, when you too, can call me brother.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home