Impossible Poet - SKY :: Chapter 30 SKY@Korea

the absurd, the impossible, the irrational, illogical, emotional world of SKY

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sleepless in Seoul
3:51 AM

Well, things are progressing as always. Life goes on whether you notice or not.
So, what has been going on ?
I'll quickly run though some FAQs that many people have for me.

How is Korea? Having any fun?
Not too much excitement, yet.
But, Hell-Yes, Seoul > Philadelphia
Last weekend, at the work 회식, I ended up drinking a lot and do not recall 2/3s of the night.
I somehow woke up the next morning in one piece with some bruises here and there and watch all scratched up. (Later I find out that people took me home but took a quite of bit of detective work to figure out where I lived) Bruises? Well, my conclusion is that I must have fell quite a bit. My shoes were all scratched up as well and jeans were pretty wet. (It was rainy)

For those of you that do not already know; I moved into my place, got internet, got cable..

Find a girl yet?
No. Sure there are a lot of girls, but I haven't had the chance to meet them much. Also, I'm not here to find a girlfriend! Maybe it wouldn't be bad to have one now and then, but my main goal is to find my path!.... (i think?)

What do you do there?
Well, I hang out with Han-hyung often. His friends, Mike, Joo-Hyun Nuna, his girlfriend Sang-Hyun and his sister Jin-Nang Nuna.
I also have a friend i met through chatting that I see now and then.
What do we do? We go drinking, what else? Kareoke? Eat? same ol' really. Just much better doing it in Korea than in PHILADELPHIA.

Otherwise, I watch some TV, play some Civ 4 and attempt to update my blog and cyworld now and then.

How is teaching?
Teaching the little brats have been getting much better. Of course not all of them are little brats but lately I have been teaching only the elementary school kids because the middle school kids have a 2-3 week period of GRUELING midterms. Did you know that they need to take exams to get placed into high schools?? Well some of you do I'm sure. The amount of work these kids in Korea have to deal with is ridiculous.
So, as a result of these midterms, I have been teaching mostly 1 class a day (3 hrs). Which is all good except that I don't get paid for those cancelled classes :(

I teach a few different classes. One being lower level in the CDI program. Another being beginner level of reading, and finally the 2nd level reading.... This hak-won is very structured. I don't really have to prepare lessons....Well, sort of. I do have to go over what I will be teaching, and how I will explain answer and such. It does take an hour or so to prep for 3 classes.

The CDI student level structure:

Memory English - Mega
Memory English - Giga
Memory English - Tera
Bridge English (Reading, Listening)
Par English (Reading, Listening)
Birdie English
Eagle....Albatross...

You see the trend. Anyway, even the lowest level students here aren't too bad. They all know a good bit of english to be able to communicate with me with out too much problems. They have to take exams to get in ..or maybe pay more? who knows. Hak-wons can be dirty business!

Anyway, how did i get here? Um.
Right, so.... Sometimes I get a bit drained from just teaching the lower level english because I have to dumb-down my English a lot!

"HEY KIDS SO, THIS WORD.... UPSET..IS THIS A GOOOD FEELING? OR A BAAAD FEELING?" Kind of funny sometimes yeah, but try doing it everyday. In fact my english is probably getting worse as i teach more! Irony eh?

I could go on for hours on these kind of things but I grow tired.

GGPO.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home